Today I would like to share with you a recipe from a wonderful cookbook, called “The MediterrAsian Way: A Cookbook and Guide to Health, Weight Loss, and Longevity”. I am constantly experimenting with new recipes from different world cuisines, and I found this book a real treasure! I tried all kinds of recipes from this book, besides desserts, and they all turned out amazingly delicious!
Since my site is about desserts, today I chose one of my favorite desserts from this book. This is not a cake or cookies, but this fruit couscous with honey-cinnamon yogurt dressing can easily beat traditional desserts at deliciousness and healthiness!
The fruit couscous can be consumed either as a dessert or as a regular breakfast. Although it’s relatively low in calories (162 calories per serving), this dessert will keep you satisfied for a long time, due to the slow carbohydrates and lots of fiber (24% RDV). Dessert is also rich in magnesium and vitamin C (93% RDV!). Finally, it’s very low in fat and sodium. Try this couscous dessert, and you will fall in love with it!
Orange – 1
Water – ¼ cup
Couscous – ½ cup *
Strawberries, sliced – 1 cup**
Mango, sliced – 1 cup**
Plain yogurt, fat-free – ½ cup
Honey – 2 tbsp ***
Cinnamon – ½ tsp
* I used bulgur, ½ cup
** Any other sweet berries and fruits, such as grapes, sliced peaches, raspberries and blackberries also go perfectly with this dessert.
*** I used agave nectar, 2tbsp. You can also replace it with your favorite sugar / sweetener.
1. Peel the orange and blend it in a food processor / blender.
2. Combine orange, water and couscous in a saucepan, bring to boil. Turn off the heat, cover the saucepan with a tight lid to trap the steam.
3. After 5-7 min, fluff up the couscous with a fork, then stir in the strawberries and mango. Cover and cool in the fridge.
4. While the fruit couscous is cooling, mix together the yogurt, honey, and cinnamon in a bowl. Serve the fruit couscous with the honey-cinnamon yogurt drizzled on top and a dusting of more cinnamon, if you like.
▪ Prep time: 15 min
▪ Total time: 15 min + 15min> for chilling
▪ Serves: 6
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 4
What is your favorite cuisine?