For those of you who enjoyed my previous recipe of almond cookies without flour but would like to try a lighter version (almonds are so loaded with calories!), here is another recipe! This one is more low calorie version since I substituted rolled oats and spelt flour for part of the almonds. The new recipe still has a distinct almond taste but now each cookie is 50 calories lighter – which is great if you want to crave not just one, but two, three (continue counting!) cookies
A few words on the nutrition value. Each cookie is 135 calories only, contains 10% of fiber RDA, only 6g of sugar and almost 5g of protein. Nice!
One last advice: do not forget to set aside a few cookies for yourself – they tend to disappear quickly;) Just imagine my dissapointment when I finished baking the first batch of these, left them unattended for a while – and when I was back they all were gone!
Almonds, peeled and silvered – ½ cup
Spelt flour – 1/3 cup*
Rolled oats – 1 cup
Brown sugar – 6 tbsp
Eggs – 1 whole + 1 white
Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
Lemon zest – 1/4 tsp
1. Finely chop almonds in the food processor. I usually use toasted almonds but raw ones should be just fine as well. Mix well all dry ingredients.
2. Beat eggs with sugar; mix them with dry ingredients, vanilla and lemon zest.
3. Form small balls, flatten slightly and place them on the baking sheet. Bake at 390F (180 degrees C) for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
* You can use the whole wheat or all-purpose flour instead.
▪ Prep time: 5 min
▪ Total time: 25 min
▪ Serves: 8
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointsPlus) points = 4
Which almond cookies recipe do you like more – the one with almonds only or this one?