The other day I was looking for a cookie to pair alongside a cup of tea for the end of our dinner. And I found it, in my current reference cookbook, Cooking Light Way to Bake. This is ideal biscotti with almonds and chocolate – amazingly delicious, and at the same time containing lower calories than a regular biscotti.
So, yesterday I made a bunch of these yummy biscotti, and today there was nothing left – besides eating plenty of them, my husband took all the remaining biscotti to treat his colleagues. This is a good sign
And the good news for those tracking their calorie intake: there are only 140 calories per each serving, and it includes two delicious biscotti!
Whole-wheat flour – 1 1/3 cup
Flaxseed meal – 2 tbsp
Brown sugar – ½ cup
Egg whites – 2
Egg, whole – 1
Truvia baking blend – 1 tbsp *
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Almonds, whole – ½ cup
Dark chocolate chips – ½ cup
* Not a fan of stevia? Feel free to replace it with 2 tbsp of your favorite sugar or sweetener.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
2. Combine whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal and baking powder in a bowl.
3. Combine brown sugar, truvia blend, egg whites, and egg in another bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract, mix well.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture; stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips and almonds.
5. Divide dough into 2 equal portions, shape each portion into a roll. Arrange rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure there is some space between rolls. Pat rolls to 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until firm.
6. Remove rolls from baking sheet, cool 10 minutes. Cut rolls into ½ inch slices. Stand the slices up on their flat sides on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes at 325 F (160 C). Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.
Serve and enjoy!
▪ Prep time: 15 min
▪ Total time: 1 hr + time for cooling (1+ hr)
▪ Serves: 12 (2 biscotti per serving)
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 4
What kind of biscotti do you like most?