About a month ago we celebrated Maslenitsa – it’s a Russian version of Shrovetide, which we usually celebrate for the whole week and everyone makes different kinds of pancakes. Another name for this holiday is a Pancake Week. So, I was expecting my friend, who is not only a vegan, but she also avoids sugar, flour, and fatty foods. And this picky girl ordered me pancakes!
While making my cat’s favorite dinner, oatmeal with flaxseed (yes, my cat has really strange taste), I had an eureka moment – how about making pancakes with the same ingredients? No sooner said than done! For more sweetness I added a banana – and voila! My girlfriend got these perfect pancakes – without any sugar, flour, eggs, and with lots of fiber. She was happy, and later I also made these pancakes a few times, now for my hubby and myself. They are so yummy! My hubby usually eats them with maple syrup or jam, and I love them without anything – in my opinion, the are sweet enough as is.
Try these pancakes and you will love them! It takes just a few minutes to make them, so you can have them for breakfast!
Banana, medium – 1
Flaxseed meal – 1 tbsp
Oat flour – ½ cup*
Water – 2 tbsp
Olive oil – 1 tsp
* I usually grind rolled oats (1/2 cup) finely into flour
1. Blend all the ingredients, except for oil, in a food processor until thoroughly combined.
2. Heat lightly oiled frying pan over a moderate heat. Spoon pancake mixture into 4-5 rounds and fry on a medium heat for approx. 2 minutes each side until cooked through and golden.
3. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings (or without them!).
▪ Prep time: 3 min
▪ Total time: 10 min
▪ Serves: 1
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 8
What are your favorite pancakes? Do you like them with or without toppings?