I’m a huge fan of apples and I try to eat at least one apple a day – sometimes as a part of my healthy desserts. Today, I’d like to share with you my recent “winner” – the baked apple dessert with walnuts. The recipe is very simple, so tasty, gluten-free, vegan – overall, it’s so good for your health!
Like I said, the recipe is easy – you need only three ingredients, about half an hour – and then you can enjoy the flavorful and rich dessert, all of it just for you. This apple dessert is also very versatile: you can make it sweeter or less sweet by varying the amount of syrup, you can cut a bigger hole to fit more walnuts – or vice versa, use just a little bit of walnuts to fully enjoy the taste of apple. Be creative!
A few notes on the health benefits: this apple dessert is very high in fiber (29% RDA) and vitamin C (20% RDA).
Apple, medium – 1
Walnuts, pieces and chips – 2 tbsp
Agave syrup – 1 tbsp *
* You can replace agave syrup with maple syrup or your favorite sweetener. I used 1 tbsp of syrup but if you like it sweeter, feel free to add more syrup to your taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
2. Working from the stem end, remove the core from each apple with the small knife, scooping out seeds and making a hole for the walnut filling.
3. In a small bowl, mix the walnuts with the syrup. Spoon the mixture in the center of the apple.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the apples are soft. If the top starts getting brown too soon, cover it with a piece of foil or parchment paper. Cool, drizzle with agave syrup or serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream.
Enjoy! You deserve this ☺
▪ Prep time: 2 min
▪ Total time: ~35 min
▪ Serves: 1
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 7
What is your favorite fruit or berry?