I wasn’t posting any chocolate desserts here for a while. My fault – and here it is, an amazing recipe for low calorie chocolate coffee cookies. They are absolutely yummy, melt in your mouth and have a rich chocolate flavor with a slight touch of coffee. My hubby said that by their texture and taste these chocolate cookies resemble him brownies – which I take as a compliment to my amazing chocolate coffee cookies And these cookies remain moist even after storing them for 2-3 days, may be even longer – it’s just they are usually gone before that
These cookies are low in calories and have only 117 of calories per a cookie (which is awesome I think). I am sure that those paying attention to the calorie value of desserts will really appreciate these healthy chocolate cookies.
Dark chocolate, non-sugar – 100 g (3.5 oz)*
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Whole wheat flour – 1/3 cup
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Eggs – 2
Egg white – 1
Truvia baking blend – 3 tbsp**
Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
Instant coffee – 2 packets
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
Chocolate chips – 2 tbsp
*I used sugar free dark chocolate but you can go with a regular one.
** Not a fan of stevia? Feel free to replace it with 6 tbsp of your favorite sugar. or sweetener.
1. Chop the dark chocolate and set in a double boiler over simmering water with the coconut oil. Melt, stirring constantly. Once melted, remove from heat, set aside and let cool to the room temperature.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking powder and salt.
3. Combine the eggs, egg white, and sugar and beat for a few minutes, until pale and fluffy, and the batter drops off the beaters in a thick ribbon. Fold in the flour mixture, followed by the cooled melted chocolate mixture and chocolate chips.
4. Cover and freeze until firm, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F (175C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form 12 balls, place on baking sheet, flatten slightly. Add a few salt grains on top to complement the chocolate taste, if you want.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven and let cookies cool briefly before serving. The cookies can be stored in air container for a few days.
Serve and enjoy!
The recipe is adapted from the Desserts for Breakfast blog.
▪ Prep time: 30 min
▪ Total time: 1 hr
▪ Serves: 12
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 4
What is your favorite chocolate treat?