It’s a summer time! So, I’ve been in a mood for some raw dessert – something healthy (of course!), easy and quick to make (no doubts), and low in calories. And I found it! These raw fudge squares with ginger contain only the best ingredients: dates, bananas, almonds, beans, oats, and cocoa. Hmm, so yummy ☺
From a health standpoint these raw goodies are all great: only 161 cal per each square, lots of manganese, fiber (24% RDA per serving) and protein (~10% RDA).
It’s a real fun to make these raw fudge ginger squares and even more fun to taste them!
For base layer:
Dates, pitted – 12
Almonds – 1/3 cup
Oat flour – ½ cup *
Buckwheat flour – 2 tbsp **
Chia seeds – 1 tbsp (optional)
Ginger root – 1 tsp
Ground ginger – ½ tsp
Ground coriander – 1 tsp
Ground nutmeg – ½ tsp
Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp
For top layer:
Dates, pitted – 10
Black beans – ½ cup (or 2/3 can, if you use canned beans)
Banana, medium – 1
Oat flour – ½ cup *
Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
Truvia baking blend – 1 tbsp ***
Vanilla extract – 1 tbsp
* You can use rolled oats – just grind them finely in a food processor into a flour.
** You can replace buckwheat flour with 2 tbsp of oat flour
*** Not a fan of stevia? Feel free to replace it with 2 tbsp of your favorite sugar or sweetener.
1. For the base layer: blend the ingredients in a food processor very well. Press the mixture into a loaf tin (I used 6 x 4 inch pan) or any other tin of appropriate size so that you have a 1-inch layer.
2. Put the base layer in the fridge for chilling while you are preparing the fudge.
3. For the fudge: blend all the ingredients well in a blender or food processor to achieve a soft smooth dough.
4. Spread the fudge layer over the base one, cover with more plastic wrap and place in a fridge for at least half an hour.
5. Cut into 8 squares. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
Serve and enjoy!
The recipe is adapted from the Including Cake blog.
▪ Prep time: 10 min
▪ Total time: 40 min
▪ Serves: 8
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) points = 4
How do you like the idea of a raw dessert? What is your favorite one?