Today I have a very interesting recipe to share with you! Just think about this: a delicious and also very healthy cheesecake – all made without any cream cheese, flour, eggs, and sugar!
One of my friends who is a vegan told me about how cream cheese can be replaced with nuts. At first it was hard for me to imagine that a handful of soaked cashews can be transformed into cream – so I decided to give it a try and satisfy my curiosity. Also, I came across an interesting recipe of a cheesecake made with cashews – and my choice about the topic for the next post was made!
Unlike a regular cheesecake, my version is undoubtedly good for your health. It has no sugar and flour, with plenty nutritious nuts, dates and strawberries included instead. And do not worry about the fat – it comes from the coconut oil, which is beneficial for your health. Those who are interested in learning more please check the article about coconut oil on the Dr. Oz’s website.
▪ Strawberries, diced – 1.5 cup*
▪ Cocoa powder – 4 tbsp
▪ Dates – 1 cup
▪ Walnuts – 1/4 cup
▪ Cashews – 2/3 cup
▪ Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
▪ Virgin coconut oil – 2 tbsp
▪ Stevia – 4 packets**
▪ 1/8 tsp salt
*Use any other fruits or berries if you want
** Replace with ¼ cup of sugar, agave syrup or honey if you are not into stevia
1. In a bowl, cover the cashews with water and let sit at least 4 hours (I did overnight). Then drain.
2. Make a pie crust: combine dates, walnuts and cocoa in food processor and blend. Pour the mixture into a prepared pie pan (I used a 6×4 -inch cake pan), and smash down VERY firmly with your hands. (Be sure to press down VERY hard, otherwise your crust will be crumbly.) Your pie is ready, in just a couple minutes ☺
3. Now prepare the filling: combine all remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until super-smooth.
4. Pour into a prepared pie crust and refrigerate for at least a couple hours. You can freeze the cake to get a perfect frozen “cheesecake” dessert.
The original recipe is grabbed from the Chocolate covered Katie blog.
▪ Prep time: 10 min
▪ Total time: 4+ hours (for cashew soaking) + 2+ hours (cake chilling)
▪ Serves: 8
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) = 6
How do you like the idea of making such a “no-cheese” cake?