My new dessert for today is candy made with chickpeas, dates and walnuts. This is amazingly simple recipe – actually, you just got the idea of main ingredients from the previous sentence ☺! It takes just a couple minutes to make – and then you can enjoy this healthy and yummy dessert:) The main benefit of these candies is that you can eat them all without feeling guilty. This is a real guilt-free dessert!
A bit more about virtues: my “garbanzo” candies are high in fiber, manganese, while very low in saturated fat – and all these just for 68 calories per candy! There is no sugar involved – dates add all the sweetness. Thanks to the ingredients, this dessert has a low hypoglycemic index, which will allow you to avoid sugar cravings and stay full longer.
Try this recipe, and I am sure you will fall in love after the first bite – that’s exactly what happened to me ☺
Chickpeas, canned – 2/3 cup (~1 can)
Walnuts, pieces – ¼ cup
Dates – 5
Cinnamon, ground – ½ tsp
Rum – 1 tbsp (optional)*
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
*You can use cognac or your favorite liqueur – or completely omit any alcohol. I know alcohol is supposed to be bad for your health but I just really like the flavor added by rum to my candies ☺
1. Rinse chickpeas. I use canned chickpeas, but you can cook them by yourself (how-to instruction).
2. Mix all the ingredients in the food processor until smooth.
3. Form small balls, roll in cocoa (or chopped nuts, sesame, coconut flakes)
4. Cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or in the freezer for 10 minutes.)
▪ Prep time: 5 min
▪ Total time: 15 min (or 1 hr if you chill the dessert in the fridge)
▪ Serves: 8
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) = 2
Have you ever tried to make desserts with veggies? Carrots, beets, beans anyone?