My new dessert for today is candy made with chickpeas, dates and walnuts. This is amazingly simple recipe – actually, you just got the idea of main ingredients from the previous sentence ☺! It takes just a couple minutes to make – and then you can enjoy this healthy and yummy dessert:) The main benefit of these candies is that you can eat them all without feeling guilty. This is a real guilt-free dessert!
A bit more about virtues: my “garbanzo” candies are high in fiber, manganese, while very low in saturated fat – and all these just for 68 calories per candy! There is no sugar involved – dates add all the sweetness. Thanks to the ingredients, this dessert has a low hypoglycemic index, which will allow you to avoid sugar cravings and stay full longer.
Try this recipe, and I am sure you will fall in love after the first bite – that’s exactly what happened to me ☺
Chickpeas, canned – 2/3 cup (~1 can)
Walnuts, pieces – ¼ cup
Dates – 5
Cinnamon, ground – ½ tsp
Rum – 1 tbsp (optional)*
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
*You can use cognac or your favorite liqueur – or completely omit any alcohol. I know alcohol is supposed to be bad for your health but I just really like the flavor added by rum to my candies ☺
1. Rinse chickpeas. I use canned chickpeas, but you can cook them by yourself (how-to instruction).
2. Mix all the ingredients except the cocoa in the food processor until smooth.
3. Form small balls, roll in cocoa (or chopped nuts, sesame, coconut flakes)
4. Cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or in the freezer for 10 minutes.)
▪ Prep time: 5 min
▪ Total time: 15 min (or 1 hr if you chill the dessert in the fridge)
▪ Serves: 8
▪ WW (Weight Watchers PointPlus) = 2
Have you ever tried to make desserts with veggies? Carrots, beets, beans anyone?